In my "Using Dreamweaver" post I discussed the pros and cons of using Dreamweaver. Personally, I like using Dreamweaver specially in the split view display because I can quickly add and modify code. Below is a listing of tips and shortcuts that I frequently use and that may help speed up your development while using Dreaweaver.
If you haven't made the following preference changes I suggest doing so. All changes can be done at Edit > Preferences.
- Code hints: select close tags for faster code creation
- Preview in browser: Add multiple browsers at least Internet Explorer and FireFox
- Validator: select XHTML 1.0 strict a strict doc type helps with cross browser compatibility
Use CTRL + F for find and replaces. Handy when client's give you MS word documents that need to be converted the HTML.
- CTRL + b bolds design and code view
- CTRL + i italicizes design and code view
- Shift enter creates line breaks design and code view
- "Enter" key creates a paragraph
- CTRL + number key (1-6) creates a header
- CTRL + Shift + P creates a paragraph
- CTRL + Shift + > indents code
- CTRL + Shift + < outdents code
- "&" in code views displays a listing of special characters
- CTRL + N: creates a new file
- CTRL + S: saves a file
- F12 preview page in default web browser
- Shift + F7: spell check
- CTRL + Shift + U: uploads files
- CTRL + D: duplicates a file in the file browser